Đà Nàng Gang Email

The following are on-going email exchanges concerning Đà Nàng Air Base.

FROM: Alan Ellison
To: Don Poss
Date: Sunday, December 22, 1996 7:00 PM

Don, I'm Al Ellison of Goldsboro, NC. Like yours, my name is on Steve Quigley's page. I noticed that you were in USAF and stationed at Đà Nàng, a couple of years before I got there. I would imagine that there were a considerable number of changes at Đà Nàng during that interval. I have a few pictures of the area scanned now and will have a few more in a few days.

I will be glad to email them to you if you are interested. I had the good fortune to meet Steve Quigley today, along with his wife. For me it was an experience I won't ever forget. You are never sure of how meetings like this will turn out; always a little apprehension. But for me, this particular meeting was just great. I had developed the idea that Steve was a class act during email correspondence and I was certainly not disappointed in my judgment. Steve is just a great guy. I don't know how else to put it. If you would like a few small .jpg images of Đà Nàng just let me know.

Take care, Al Ellison

FROM: Robert Johnson
Date: Thursday, January 30, 1997 10 PM
Subject: Re: K-9s

When I came back from Nam, I was stationed at Ft. Huachuca in a unit that trained personnel in Counter-Insurgency before being assigned overseas. One of the men in my unit was a point-man in the Infantry as a dog-handler. He use to tell us stories of his dog, but one dog story that stood out was one named Buddha. It was suppose to be the most longest active K-9 in VN. I have always thought a good movie should be about a dog handler in Nam. It could be made heart-warming, funny, and scary (knowing the situations that we were all in especially you guys in K-9. You had extra sensory perception with the dogs by your side. Just thought I would share. Again -- You have such a great site!

Robert: Blackie (X129) was indeed a friend whom I owe my life to. Over my page, I have met a handler that had Blackie two years after I, and he knows of a third handler after him. I DEROS'd home end-of-war for me and out of the service. I had wanted to be a Police officer when I went into the Air Force, but when I got out, I just didn't want anything to do with weapons--or tents--for many years. Don

366th. Security Police Squadron, Sentry Dog Section Đà Nàng Air base, Republic of Vietnam
November 1968 to January 1970 by Monty J. Moore (Thursday, March 20, 1997 11:28 AM)

In early 1969, the Air Force Sentry Dog Section at Đà Nàng Air base consisted of approximately 45 sentry dog teams, one kennel attendant, and the Kennel Master. The Kennel Master, SSgt Carl Wolfe, had been in-country for several years. He later taught at the Dog School at Lackland AFB, Texas, in the mid-70's.

The dog teams worked on the base perimeter, between defensive M60 machine gun positions and the actual perimeter fence. The machine gun bunkers were at the rear corners of our posts. One post was located on the Air Force side of the base and 37 posts were alongside three Marine companies from the 3rd MP Battalion. There were two posts located in the off-base bomb dump, located near an ARVN camp and the Marine ammo dump. From time to time, special posts were developed as needed, such as the temporary post located in the interior of the Napalm dump. One handler had been during a rocket attack.

The most lovable dog in the section was Cinder handled by Jerry Cox. Cinder was the only female dog and was not very aggressive. But as Cox said, if someone farted on the perimeter he knew it.

The biggest dog was Lance, always weighing over 100 lbs. Lance was prone to turn on his handler, but he would let anyone take him out of the kennels. You just didn't give him any commands. He also loved to play with rocks. Lance and his handler had been in the one of the bomb dumps when it had been blown up. They crawled out using the ditches. Lance's neck was so big that a regular choke chain wouldn't fit him. His choke chain was improvised from the "old, old" kennel chains that had a choke chain in one end.

The meanest dog was a tie between Blackie and a dog named Baron. Baron would try to nail another handler for talking to his handler on post. Blackie would take his chow pan to the back of his kennels and dare you to come in and get it. The dog least likely to be mistaken for a German Shepherd was a big hound dog named Marblehead. He looked and sounded like a Blue Tick hound, but he had a hell of a nose and was fairly aggressive.

Newcomers to the three Marine companies, Alpha, Bravo and Charlie, were always surprised to find Air Force dog teams with them at night on the perimeter. All of the handlers preferred to work the Marine perimeter rather than the Air Force post. Alpha CO lines ran from the main Air Force cantonment area to a gate located on the south side of the base. The road out of this gate ran past a silk factory, leading to one of the bridges over the river.

Alpha Company's CO was a Captain Swartz. He checked posts almost every night, and usually stopped to talk to each handler. We regarded him as having "brass ones" because of the way he ignored dogs agitating on him. He would walk up so close that it took a determined effort to prevent a dog from biting him. I believe that Bravo CO had two platoons on the bridge south of the base and silk factory, and one was overrun.

On Đà Nàng, Bravo CO lines were short. The aforementioned silk factory was located at the gate, off base next to the perimeter fence. Past the gate, Bravo CO lines were on the perimeter fence with the on-base bomb dump behind them. We only had a few posts here. They were between the perimeter fence and an inner chain link fence, with a road used only in the daytime and a high dirt revetment. The bomb dump was on the other side of the revetment.

The area of the silk factory was the scene of sapper and sniper activity in the TET's of 1968 and 1969. Some of us had to low crawl from our posts during those attacks. In the Feb 23, 1969 attack, VC moved into the silk factory. Alpha CO attempted to take the factory, but met with heavy resistance, with one Marine killed. The VC were hiding in large drainage pipes under the floor.

The Marines contacted the Security Police Squadron and asked for dog teams to go into the drains. By this time most of us were in the rack attempting to sleep with the noise, small arms fire, F-4's taking off and explosions. The first two handlers found in the hut area agreed to go. When the dog teams entered the drainage pipes, the VC immediately fled into the factory. Alpha CO then took the factory with no more friendly causalities. I think that one of the handlers was Gary Beck, handling Sparky.

The Freedom Bird due to land that morning, circled the Air Base for several hours before landing. When it finally did land, fires were still burning from the attack. That flight also brought in about 7 new handlers from a pipeline sentry dog class. Three of those handlers were Bill Grife, Gill Perry, and Pete Koenig. They later described how it felt circling the base, looking down at the smoky fires. Talk about a welcome wagon!

Charlie CO lines were the longest. They stretched from the POL tank farm on the northwest Marine side of the base, around a large swamp that was north of the ends of the two parallel runways, to the POL tank farm located on the northeast Air Force side. Our posts, beginning with Kilo-1, were between bunkers manned by 1st Platoon, Charlie CO, with the last post on Charlie CO lines being Kilo-14. Kilo-15 was on the Air Force side. Kilo-16 started with Alpha CO.

The Đà Nàng kennels had earlier been located near the Air Force area on base known as "Tent City". By my late 1968 arrival in-country, the kennels had been moved to the side of the base near the terminal and the main compound housing base headquarters. The kennel was located just off of the main road that circled the base, behind a SAC detachment, and had a POL tank farm located on the north side.

Charlie CO's last bunker was near the rear of the kennels. The new kennels had a steel roof over the cinder block and chain link dog kennels. An air conditioned kennel support building housed the office, supply room, kitchen, and the veterinarian's office.

Security Police lived in a compound between the base headquarters compound and the main AF compound. We lived in barracks that had been built by the French. We went out at night and worked along side Marines, but came back in the morning to the luxuries of the Air Force side of the base. Handlers lived in one of two huts. One hut was for the party crowd, the other for the more sedate handlers. The party hut had a "get together" every morning. A few drinks (the definition of a few drinks varied for some of the guys!) and we would hit the rack and attempt to sleep until the heat of the day and aircraft noise woke us up. We would go have our evening meal in the chow hall, then started getting ready for post. Our weapons were kept in our wall lockers, until someone shot up the NCO hut next to ours in late 1969. An armory was soon built thereafter. We were dropped off alongside the main road and walked to the perimeter, and then walked parallel to the perimeter until we reached our post.

As we walked past bunkers manned by Marines, we were always asked if our dog knew any tricks. Handlers quickly learned that showing off a few dog tricks would guarantee cordial relations with the Marines manning the bunkers. They would give up a sandwich or two from the "midnight rations" delivered to the Marines on the perimeter. The sandwich was a welcome break from the C-rations that we were given. The sandwich was always split with the most important member of the sentry dog team, the dog.

Đà Nàng was nicknamed "Rocket City" due to the large number of attacks by 122mm and 140mm rockets. Most of the sentry dogs displayed a specific behavior pattern or alert whenever there were incoming. This few seconds warning was greatly appreciated. We realized that the dog's superior senses, was sensing something but there was still an aura of mystique about this. I now realize that it was just a case of pure Pavlov conditioning. The dog would hear a rocket either going overhead or on either side of his location, and anticipate the "excitement" that always accompanied the rocket. One dog named Sugar, would jump up and snap at the air. My dog Kobuc would start pulling to the closest bunker. I only had to crawl, he would navigate.

In mid-1969, The off-base munitions dumps exploded and burned for hours early one morning after we had come in from post. The Marine kennels, located near the munitions dumps had to be evacuated. Their dogs were brought to our kennels, staked out to the fence, with shipping crates used as dog houses. I remember that one of the Marine handlers had his leg in a full cast. After a few days, they were moved to the Navy sentry dog kennels at China Beach. A short time later a K-9 party was held at the Navy kennels for all of the Đà Nàng handlers. I don't remember too much about the party, but I do recall seeing the beach from the kennels.

We had two other Kennel Masters in mid to late 1969, each for a short duration. One was a SSgt Doctor, the other was a TSgt Faust, who wasn't a dog handler. Both went home for emergency reasons. Several handlers were on their second 'Nam tour. The Air Force had more dogs in Vietnam than elsewhere, so it was pure math with a four year enlistment.

Hillard, Comer, and several others had been in 'Nam at other bases. Many handlers came to 'Nam from other overseas bases. Cox, from Okinawa, and Bill Humpla, from the Philippines. The size of the Sentry Dog Section at Đà Nàng Air base varied, depending on the number of posts manned. In January 1970, the section was reduced. When I came back from my 30 day "free" leave for extending, I discovered that 9 other handlers and I were being transferred to Phu Cat Air base. Excess dogs were shipped to other units. My dog was shipped to Phu Cat Air base. It is my understanding that the Đà Nàng section was increased sometime in 1970.

Thanks to the VDHA, I have been able to contact another handler who worked Kobuc after I did. Steve Janke and I have shared pictures and fond memories of "our dog," whom we both loved and Kobuc in turn gave each of us his love. There probably aren't anymore Vietnam Sentry dog handlers on active duty. I wish that other handlers would combine their personal experiences in their sections or units so that a history of the military dog program could be recorded, or perhaps compiled. Monty J. Moore

FROM: Craig Lord
Date: Monday, May 19, 1997 11:19 PM
Subject: Re: 35th SPS K-9 Home Page

Hi Don, Mike Daoust advised me that you are the keeper to the VSPA Website. I am a member of VSPA and Vietnam Dog Handler Association. As you know we have a VDHA web site. We also now have a 35th SPS K-9 link within the VDHA under units. Craig

Craig: I really like your Hill top view of Phan Rang! I wish I had something like that for Đà Nàng Air Base. Was the 35th SPS at Phan Rang? Because it was at Đà Nàng in 1965. Attached is a slide of the sign on my barracks in Jan of 1966. I might just be a candidate for membership in the 35th SPS, as I was in K-9 at Đà Nàng in 1965-66. Don

Don: In the interest of making better web sites we would like to have the 35th linked with SPS (I have already linked VSPA). Take a look at the web site at: VDHA. BTW, thanks for putting together the VSPA site. I found a couple of old K-9 pals including our Flight Chief, Glenn Redmond.

Thanks again,
Craig Lord
Secretary VDHA, 35th SPS K-9

Hey... thank you. Don Poss 6252 Combat Air Police Squadron, 366th SPS, Đà Nàng, 65-66 PS: Đà Nàng Air Police was the 6252 Combat Air Police, the 35th APS, then 366th SPS.

Craig Lord wrote:

Don, You seem to be a great source for the history of Phan Rang. We know that the 366th came down to Phan Rang in late 65 early 66 with the F-4s. Some of the 366th where dog handlers, such as Phil Savage. There is very little about the SPS and K-9 that originated Phan Rang AB. Some of the Army dog handlers where also there.

I have a good history of Phan Rang overall, i.e.; 315th air Commando etc., but there isn't anything on SPS, Combat Air Police, or K-9 starting at the inception of the base, when 366th started the joint. To complicate matters, I have nothing on the closing of the base, when the 35th closed down. I found the current 35th SPS on the Web and will be asking for their help, but I found in most cases the current military doesn't have a clue about their units history, other than what they are doing currently.

Craig: it's interesting that the 35th/366th went to Phan Rang AB. I was at Đà Nàng from July 1965 to July 66. At one point, our K-9 unit was about to pack up and go to Nha Trang. Don

FROM: Monty Moore
Date: Sunday, June 15, 1997 2:00 PM
Subject: Re: Đà Nàng

Don: Saw your request to contact other Đà Nàng handlers on the VDHA Bulletin Board. I was there late 1968,69,and 70. I worked Kobuc and have been talking with Kobuc's prior handler, Ron Mundell. He lives in Reading, PA and we are planning a meeting since I live in MD. I am caching this to Don Poss who handled Blackie I think about your time span at Đà Nàng. Where do you live??? I have a feeling that we might be close. Monty

Monty: Well guys... California (the left coast) is a bit far from the two of you. But email puts us close, and what we have shared in Vietnam bonds us as brothers. Don

FROM: Don Poss
To: Monty Moore
Date: Sunday, June 15, 1997 2:24 AM
Subject: Đà Nàng

Monty: I just finished scanning over 100 35mm slides of Đà Nàng K-9 posts and Dog Patch Kennels. I'll get them uploaded to you asap. I also just received info from 48th Air Force in England. They are naming a barracks after SSgt Jensen, KIA: at Đà Nàng on 1 July 1965. They sent me some newspaper clippings and a copy of his Silver Star accounting for his actions. The sergeant single handedly stopped the advance of a 15 man sapper team that blew some F-102s on the flight line and kept them from sapping a bunker with 25 unarmed a/c mechanics inside. He died of his second wounds, but the VC didn't know that and withdrew. Don

FROM: Robert
Sent: Sunday, June 15, 1997 11:01 PM
To: Monty Moore
Subject: Re: Đà Nàng

Thanks for the e-mail. I'm in Chester, VA, about 20 miles south of Richmond. I don't believe Kobuck was there when I was. I think Don Poss rings a bell - its been a long time - I know we had a Blackie. We were the first AF dog handlers actually assigned at Đà Nàng. The stateside handlers came over with their dogs on 90 days TDY summer of 65 and cross trained their dogs to volunteers from the permanent party when they left. We were just the K-9 section of the 6252nd APS at that time - Heck, there were only 32 APs there when I got there - our basic load was a .38 and 18 rounds of ammo! We didn't get M16s until we got hit and SSgt Jensen got killed. My dog's original handler was Louis Guzman, from Texas and he taught Shep all the commands in Spanish - took me a month to reteach him English. Was Shep still there when you were? He was a young dog, only about 28 months when I got him, so he would have only been 5 or 6 when you were there.

At first we had no kennels, just shipping crates on loading pallets in GP medium tents. The "Đà Nàng Growl Pad" was constructed by us and Vietnamese labor, using left over materials - insulation for the roof was Styrofoam from Sidewinder Missiles packing crates.

Lots of memories of that year. Robert

FROM: Monty Moore
To: Robert
Date: Tuesday, June 17, 1997 11:01 AM

In late 1969, There was a tall, lanky dog we called "Crazy Shep". He would bite jeep tires and cause them to go flat. Was he your Shep??? Let me know what your last name is also??

FROM: Monty Moore
To: Don Poss Date: Sunday, July 13, 1997 9:27 PM
Subject: Scanned Photos

I have been experimenting with the photo retouching. (See Đà Nàng-1-MontyMoore, Spooky-Monty Moore, and Kuboc_Jump-Monty Moore)

FROM: Don Poss
To: David C. Lane
Cc: Monty Moore
Date: Monday, July 14, 1997 11:23 PM
Subject: Old Barks Club

Hi David. Monty and I met on the web and have swapped a few lies and too many truths. Vietvet web pages are really growing. I'm a member of the Vietnam Dog Handlers Association, and the Vietnam Security Police Association (I also Webmaster that page). I guess the fastest way to see what it was like for us, and I hope never for you, is to visit a few of those sites. My homepage, War Stories, has several excellent stories written by Vietvets. Check it out at the above Organization clickable address.

Three photos:
1) My K-9: Blackie (X129). Greatest monster dog ever.
2) K-9 post: Railroad tracks and tressel on the left. Spookiest post I ever worked. Used more pop-flares than a C-47.
3) Security Police post (We were called Air Police then): I had one heck of a firefight around one of those bunkers one night when some sappers tried to penetrate the post. Blackie alerted--I didn't see a thing it was so dark--and then they started firing. I went through about three magazines in a heart beat. And it was over. Gary Eberbach and Bucky showed up and may have convinced the VC to break off. The QRT Strike Team was there in about 20 minutes but I made them stay out until I could get Blackie back. He came back with a bloody muzzle which I think was from trying to chew through the barbed wire fence. The Strike Team found blood trails and some expended AK47 shells. My K-9 buddy, Gary Eberbach showed up about 10 minutes before the Strike Team (about 300 yards off his post). After we both DEROS'd and were discharged (we both ended our 4 year tours in Nam), I introduced him to his future wife, Rita. They've been married now for 32 years, and will be out to visit us on August 5th, 1997! Gary's bringing some slides and 8mm he had put onto video, and I plan to copy everything I can!

Don Poss
6252nd Air Police Squadron,
366th SPS, K-9, Đà Nàng Vietnam, 1965-1966
(Thanks for the Forward, Monty)

FROM: Monty Moore
To: David C. Lane
Cc: Don Poss Date: Monday, July 14, 1997 12:46 PM
Subject: Vietnam Photos

David, we never did get into Dog utilization in Vietnam. I am attaching a photo. Dog post was usually on the perimeter, with the teams providing early warning. Bases in rural areas sometimes had large areas to cover. This photo is from a high gun tower at Phu Cat AB. The dog post was between the Main Line of Resistance and the actual base perimeter.

Some post were a mile deep, if you were fool-hardy enough to go all the way out to the wire.
The hill in the background is still on base.
The M60 Tower was one of the rear corners of a post.
The wooded area to the middle right was the location of 2 dog post. Two handlers were pinned down in a firefight one night in early 1970. Security could not find their way through the concertina in their APC and other Armored vehicles.

In the middle of the Chrysler armored scout cars, Security would have a big can of coffee stacked on top of M60 ammo cans. So we called them "Armored Coffee Trucks". Needless to say, they wouldn't bring us coffee. We were only Dog Handlers. I am sending this {CC} this to another Đà Nàng handler.

FROM: Monty Moore
To: Don Poss; David
Date: Tuesday, July 15, 1997 9:09 PM
Subject: RE: Old Barks Club

That post looks familiar, We didn't run dog there when I was there. I have several trays of slides I want to scan someday including slides of most of the Đà Nàng K-9 post. Now I have to talk myself into a slide scanner.

FROM: Carl Tripp
Thursday, September 18, 1997 9:15 AM

Don(#2): I must have been your replacement. I was there April 1967 through April 1968 (with a side trip to Biên Hòa AB late Jan - mid Mar 68).

One of my usual posts was the watchtower near 'China-3' (the Beach Gate) and I also normally worked the West side near 'Happy Valley'. I'm taking the liberty of forwarding a copy of your letter to Don Poss, the 7ebmaster of the 'War Stories' site. Also, we'd like you to join our Vietnam Security Police Association, Inc. (USAF) - even if you don't join, go there and see if you can find some ol buddies at the 'GUARDMOUNT' area. Did you ever get into Top Cham and the infamous 'Pink Palace'? I'll send some more stories your way - but, right now I have to get back to work (Year 2000 Renovation Team). Nice hearing from you. Welcome Home to you also.
Carl Tripp - St. Louis, MO

From Don#2
Date: 1997/09/17 3:26 PM

Carl, I was stationed at Phan Rang AB from April 1966 to April 1967. I was on the Panther Flight working nights too. We basically supported the K-9 units. Some of the other jobs we did were convoy duties (the trip to Phu Cat as you mentioned was one scary mutha, never ride as rear guard), night time patrols, 3 man machine gun nests (on top of Nhu Dot ), 24 hour beach patrol (two men), door gunner (in order to get to Tan Son Nhut for my R&R), escort duty for VIP's and one time our hooch was asked to ruck up for insertion by chopper, at dusk, to guard a downed F-4. Thank God that the 101st got there first. We manned observation towers along the western perimeter and guarded the bomb and ammo dump. Many, many long nights.

C-rations were better than the chow hall food. Sometime in July or August we received small arms fire and the K-9 units were pinned down. A three hour fire fight ensued. We had a 81mm at Air Police Headquarters that was providing illumination rounds fired by the A1C desk sergeant. A C130 finally came over and kicked out those flares that light up a football field. Tracers were everywhere and even our 50 cal. was put into action. By the time we could see daylight, the firing had stopped. We stayed in our positions until the 101st could search the area in front of us. They couldn't find anything. Most of us were too excited to sleep and the story was told and retold for several weeks.

Lt. Barth, Lt. Bonner and Sgt Korn were so proud of the black berets. The Panthers were indeed a different kind of Air Police Unit. I suppose that there are many many stories of this kind and I have always wondered why the Air Force didn't recognize their ground troops.

When I returned to the States, I just couldn't get with "STATE SIDE DUTY." Well, I got to run, it was nice telling a story about the NAM. Hope to hear from you soon. WELCOME HOME. Don(#2)

FROM: Craig Lord
To: Don Poss
Date: Saturday, November 01, 1997 4:33 PM
Subject: Re: Membership inquiry

Hi Don Poss, Here is something you probably didn't know. When Phan Rang AB closed the unit was actually sent back to Đà Nàng under orders of the 35th. They were then put back into the 366th (which originally started at Phan Rang). This thing gets more interesting as the days go on. Thanks for the photos, I'll check them out in a couple of minutes.

I have sent Steve Ball updates to the 35th SPS K-9 page but they aren't on-line yet. I'm thinking about using my local provider and just have Steve link the page, because I'm moving faster then he can. As you know, new stuff on a web page brings people back. I have some other .jpg to download from another SPS at PR/Biên Hòa. I'll pass them on. Drop me you snail mail, I have 2 issues of Dogman I can send right away. Craig Lord, VDHA, ph 901-797-9713

FROM: Ed Case
To: Don Poss
Date: Tuesday, November 04, 1997 12:15 AM
Subject: Mixed Thank You

I was part of the "Top Dog 10" operation in the AMMO area when SSgt Jensen was KIA during the Sapper Attack. He and the person with him had just drank coffee without us in the AMMO area just about an hour before the attack. Time dims the memories of names but not the person. I had just stumbled across this web site by accident. My mixed thank you is for dedicating this page to him but has re-opened bad memories of sounds, smells, and sights. One day maybe only the good times and memories will remain. I have been told a trip to The Wall will help... who knows.

SSgt L.E. Case (Casey) AF 19610039

FROM: Al Watts, Ret. TSgt
To: Don Poss
Date: Monday, May 18, 1998 6:44 PM
Subject: 366sps k9

Hi Don: My name is Al Watts, I was with the 1st sentry dog unit at Đà Nàng in 1965. I came over with TOPDOG45 in 65. Were you one of the original dog handlers or were you selected from the squadron when most of the original left and came back? I built the first kennels there at Đà Nàng and I had to give up my dog which was named Blackie [to Don Poss]. Later a TSgt Sorrells came in as Kennel Master. LTC Phillips was my Commander also. He was a find officer. I left in 1966, but I have fond memories of the k9 section at Đà Nàng. Glad to have read your article in DogMan. See you later. Al Watts TSgt (Ret)

FROM: Robert A. Lee (Racon6)
To: Don Poss
Date: Thursday, May 21, 1998
Subject: Đà Nàng K-9

Don, I doubt you remember me, but I was in the unit with you at Đà Nàng. I handled Shep, A902, who at the time was the youngest, meanest dog in the kennel. I arrived at Đà Nàng in Mar of 1965, when there were only about 30 APs at the base and we were the 6252nd APS. I cross-trained into the dogs as the TDY guys began to leave, getting Shep from a TexMex named Guzman.

Since I came from the states, I didn't know Jones very well, but was in the same hooch for a while with SSgt Jensen. I still have pictures of the truck he was driving when he was killed. I haven't been in touch with anyone from Vietnam except Philip Norwich, who handled Lucky, the biggest, friendly dog in the kennel. Philip died of a heart attack this past December 1997.

I joined the VDHA last year just out of curiosity and your article was the first time a familiar name popped up. You have contact with anyone else I might know?

After VN, I got my choice of assignments and being from GA, I returned to Moody AFB, Valdosta, GA in March 66. They tried to send me back to VN in early 1968, but I'd had enough, so I got out and became a Georgia State Trooper for 15 years. Left GA in 1983, accompanying my wife (a career civil servant) to Germany. We stayed there for 12 years until she was selected for the Army War College in Carlisle PA in June of 95. She received an assignment to Ft. Lee, VA in June of 96 where she is now the Garrison chief of Staff. I was appointed as a magistrate with the 12th Judicial District in Aug of 96 - end of BIO. Just wanted to say hello and tell you I enjoyed the article. Drop me a line if you feel the urge. Robert Lee

FROM: Don Poss
To: Robert Lee (Racon6)
Date: Thursday, May 21, 1998 9:34 PM
Subject: Re: Đà Nàng K-9


Man, do I remember Shep.... Email a photo of you "then" and I'll bet I've got some of you.

Sorry to hear about Philip Norwich. I remember him as a very decent young man. I am attaching a photo of him when he had an eye injury.

I still have the Zippo cigarette lighter that LTC Arthur G. Phillips Jr. gave everyone in the squadron, labeled "6252nd Air Police Squadron, Đà Nàng, Vietnam."

Ironically, I just got an email from K-9 Al Watts (Ret. TSgt), who was with the 1st sentry dog unit at Đà Nàng in 1965, TopDog45. Al is the handler whom I got Blackie from! I've also received email from a handler that had Blackie 2 years after I left.

While at Đà Nàng, I became good friends with K-9 Gary Eberbach, who had Bucky. I introduced him to his wife and they've been married nearly 32 years (1998) now.

My web page, War Stories is dedicated to SSgt Jensen and A3C J.B. Jones. SSgt Jensen had 3 daughters, and two of them became Security Police (A.P.s)! The story just posted in the VDHA Memorial Day DogMan, is one that is posted with photos at JB. Tom Mitchell, Pres of VDHA, asked to use it for the paper. It was shorted, so I hope you check it out to see how it was presented.

I would be interested in receiving any email photos that you may have of Đà Nàng, and the truck he was KIA near, to add to the Đà Nàng Page I am compiling for my other webpage, the Vietnam Security Police Association, Inc. (USAF). Check it out. I also have a story on the night SSgt was killed at: SSgt Jensen. On the VSPA page, I am in the process of adding a complete section for every Vietnam AP/SP base and squadron that served in Vietnam. I am preparing to start Đà Nàng, and will have a photo gallery of about 300 photos, plus stories, unit history (6252nd Combat Air Police, 35th APS, 366th SPS)... it is going to be the best page in the Base/Squadron section. So, if you want to add memories and photos, I could use the input.

There are a lot of familiar names at VSPA's Guardmount page. I think we both might know Wallace, but he doesn't have an email. Gary Eberbach, you may remember, I'll also attach a photo of him and Tom Baker (Gary's on the left). I met Gary Knutsen one time shortly after DEROS. I finally earned my B.S.

Robert, I would like to continue correspondence. I will also forward this to Al Watts and Gary Eberbach... part of the old Đà Nàng Gang. Glad to hear from you. I also have exchanged email from a few Đà Nàng K-9/A.P., and have it all posted at Đà Nàng K-9. You even have an email there which Monty forward to me some time ago! I don't mean to overload you with information, but I get kind of excited when email from someone who was at Đà Nàng when I was.

Don Poss

FROM: Jim Jimieson [mailto: jimjimieson@cox.net]
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 8:13 PM
To: dlp@war-stories.com
Subject: War-Stories.com: A3C-James-Bruce-Jones,KIA, Đà Nàng, Vietnam

Hi Don,

All these years, 40 years this month (1998), and I found your website and the tribute to Airman James Bruce Jones. I was an A2/C assigned to the 6252nd Air Police Squadron, Security Police, and had been in country since early November 1965. My quarters were in the tent area on the south end of the base.

On the night that the mortar attack took place, I was off duty and playing cards in our tent. As soon as the attack ended we were picked up and brought to the main compound. I was issued my M16 and driven to the petroleum depot where Airman Jones was killed. I spent the rest of the night at his post. We had been told that this was where the Airman had been killed. I never knew Airman Jones, and I always wondered about the young man whose post I took over. The pictures and story on your site brought it all back, too vividly.  I am sure that those that knew Airman Jones are appreciative of all your efforts. I also read the story of the crash of the B-57 that also happened during my tour. I was posted at the crash site as a perimeter guard the first night after that crash also. Not very happy memories, but memories after all.

Thanks, Jim Jimieson

FROM: Rich E. Klugherz
To: Don Poss Date: Thursday, May 21, 1998 9:28 PM
Subject: Vietnam Veterans' War Stories!

Dear Don, thank you very much for your hard work and dedication. I have your page in my favorites and go to it almost daily. I was also at Đà Nàng in 1966 in the 405th MMS with the B-57's Keep up the good work, it is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely, Rich Klugherz

Rich: Thanks! You might check out the B-57 story posted at War Stories. A B-57 crashed on take off and the pilot/GIB were killed. I did some research and found their names and info about the crash. It's at: B-57. Don Poss

Subject: Date : Sun, 4 Jan 1998
FROM: Tim Benko

Don, I also am ex-366th TFW Đà Nàng; having been there from Dec. 1968-69 with the 366th Supply Squadron. Wasn't "Phantom 309" by Red Sovine played a lot by AFVN? I seem to recall hearing it on my radio, as I was issuing tool boxes to USAF people. Tim Benko

FROM: Robert Kendrick
To: Don Poss
Date: Saturday, August 15, 1998 7:25 AM
Subject: Đà Nàng K-9

Don: I see that you were at Đà Nàng 1965-66. I am assuming that you were in the Air Force. Do you remember a SSgt Sirois? I don't think he was over the kennels so I am assuming that maybe he was a Flight Leader. What about some of the other guys that were there when you were?

Robert Robert:

I still am in contact with Gary Eberbach (VSPA member) who had Bucky. I introduced Gary to his wife. They've been married 32 years (1998) now. I remember Maxie Pierce, whom I heard retired on PTSD after J.B. Jones was KIA in Jan 1966. Don't know if that is true though. Maxie was a really great guy! Tom Baker is another good-guy I remember, along with Cob (first name was?) and Wallace. I will be posting the
Đà Nàng page at VSPA within a month (I hope). A lot of work going into it. I have a ton of photos in which it is possible you and/or the guys you've named are in them.

I got an email saying that Philip Norwich (AP) had died recently in Dec 1967. I took photos of all the K-9 handlers and dogs when I was there, and will post about 200 photos. I you have any photos, that would really add to the Đà Nàng page.

Monty Moore is also adding photos and stories. Photos can be scanned and emailed in .jpg or .gif formats, or color Xeroxed at your local copy store then snail mailed to me for scanning--quality is very good, and cheap to do. To see some Đà Nàng photos, at War Stories, check out the B-57 story, and a few others with the name Đà Nàng in their titles. There are also stories regarding the KIAs of SSgt Terance Jensen and A2C James Jones. Don Poss

Don: I arrived in Đà Nàng in July and started out with Champ who eventually had to be put down. He caught leptisporosis I think was the disease's name. Then I got Rinty. Do you remember Ronnie Wells from Texas whose dog was Caesar? What about a big dog named King. Very aggressive and hard to handle! Hope you can remember some of the above. Thanks, Robert Kendrick, from Virginia. Robert Robert: I recall dogs named Champ, Caesar, and King... but those were popular K-9 names, so I can't say for sure the Champ was your Champ. But I do remember King as being a mean-butt dog. Ronnie's name sounds familiar, but not sure. You might like to check out an on-going email regarding Đà Nàng AP/SP that I have posted for the Đà Nàng Gang to add to at: Đà Nàng K-9

It is interesting and I'm sure you will remember some of the names and incidents mentioned. Don Poss, Webmaster at: War Stories, and Vietnam Security Police Association, Inc. (USAF)

FROM: Tom Winn, [mailto: TWinn964@aol.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2001 10:00 AM
To: Don Poss
Subject: VSPA: 35th SPS History: 2001 Apr 69 - Jun 69

Don: It was interesting seeing the special orders of Đà Nàng personnel in October 65 of names I could not remember for so many years. Somehow, I was demoted 2 grades to A3C because I was promoted to A1C sometime in Oct 65. So that was the reason why I had so many lousy assignments!!!

Regards, Tom Winn
Đà Nàng 11/1964 to 11/1965

VSPA.com: We Take Care of Our Own Click to Report BROKEN LINKS or Photos, or COMMENT